Thursday, June 29, 2017

To the principal's office?

I'm fairly certain it's schools' fault that I'm conditioned to think I did something wrong whenever someone senior tells me they want to talk to me. Or maybe it happened at work, because, let's face it, if you are getting the job done, do they ever come out of no where and say, let's talk!

It happened today. One of the people on the leadership team that I work with asked if I could go to his office. What did I do, or, knowing this particularly leader, what was he about to do that would make my life difficult.

Turns out, there is a promotional opportunity he thought I should consider. This is the second time it's become available. The first time I declined it and someone else stepped in, but now they have moved on and it's up again, and the powers that be think I know my stuff. They aren't wrong, I do know stuff.

So I didn't get in trouble, and people are really trying to do nice things for me. I mean, the job would be eliminated in 18 months, and the job I'm in now, might not be. Do I chance the promotion for something secure? Do I go for immediate satisfaction with increased risk, or lower risk with less satisfaction? I'm usually pretty cautious at weighing the odds and making the right choice, but I don't know here.

But isn't it nice they thought of me? And for an extra added ego boost, the boss man messaged me again today to tell me that in the staff meeting people had great things to say about me and that I was in the top 5% in the company for using our new rewards program. Pretty stinking amazing since I am also one of the most critical bosses with the highest standard around, or at least that's what the team says.

No comments:

Post a Comment