Friday, June 30, 2017

Mysogeny Is Alive!

So, the position I hold at my company isn't very high, but I don't let that stop me from keeping people above and below me in check.  Today, I put a call together because one of my senior leaders thought he was being asked to check my team's work, when really, we just send it to him so he has a heads up and can make sure we don't go off the rails.

We don't go off the rails. We are ridiculously knowledgeable. He's been in the business 3 weeks, his staff, maybe 6 months, me and my team? Oh the least experienced 5 years and the most 10+. We know our stuff.

So I pull the call together to straighten him out and he starts fishing for compliments. I joke around with a ton of people all day so I play along, and then he says, "oh you say that to all the boys" to which I reply, without a hitch in my getup, "and the girls too."

But he kind of went to a place he shouldn't have. He preceded to say I was going to meet with the other newbie, to which I said, nope, he already knows what we do and how good we are, I don't have to.

Am I a little cocky? Maybe. But should a senior leader say to a group of women, ranging from Vice Presidents to Assistance Vice Presidents, "oh you say that to all of the boys."

Maybe it wasn't the most egregious misstep ever made, but I ended that call feeling yucky. That's not the way to end the week before a vacation, but what can you do.

Maybe report, maybe not. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment